A little background . . .
Pastor David Clason was born on Howard Air Force Base in Panama. When he was three, his family moved to Spokane, Washington where he would spend the next 15 years of his life.
Growing up in Spokane, he joined the Royal Ranger group at his church and attended for ten years. In high school he joined the Cross-Country and track and field team and ran for Mead High School for all four years.
When Pastor David was 12, he felt the call of the Lord on his life to join the ministry. In June of 2010 he graduated from Mead High School and prepared for the next step to fulfill that calling. The following August Pastor David moved to Ellendale, North Dakota to attend Trinity Bible College. While there he met Emily (Smith) in the Fall of 2010, and the couple married in June, 2013. Emily graduated from Trinity in May of 2013 with a Bachelors of Arts in General Studies, a Bachelors of Arts in Biblical Studies and a minor in Psychology and Counseling. Pastor David completed his degree at Trinity in May, 2014, graduating with a Bachelor of Arts in Christian Leadership with a concentration in Pastoral Ministry and a Bachelors of Arts in Biblical Studies.
Pastor David began his ministry at Walhalla Assembly of God in July of 2015.
THE MISSION OF THE CHURCH
To Love God
To Love One Another
To Love the Lost
Care for the Hurting
In 1937, Pastor Henry Larson came from Park River, ND and
began holding services in the old school house at Poplar
Grove (located a couples miles West of Walhalla). At the
same time he also held services in Walhalla on Saturday
nights. During winter, because of the cold weather, service
was moved to Wellington Thompson's house. Although
services were packed already, the church continued to grow
and service was moved back to the school house the
following Spring. One Spring morning, for unknown reasons,
the congregation (known at the time as Gospel Tabernacle)
found the old school house locked . . . they no longer had
permission to use it. But, where the spirit of the Lord is
moving, there is power and the congregation built a new
building out of donated material and with the help of
volunteers. They began having services in the new building in October 1938 even though the building was not yet completed. Superintendent Herman Johnson later came and gave the dedication service for the new building in 1939.
Due to continued church growth and location of this new building, the church decided to rent the Methodist church in Walhalla and later went on to buy it on February 1st, 1940 for $500. In May of 1940 the dedication service and burning of the mortgage was held for the new church building. In the Fall of 1940 a two bedroom parsonage was built next to the church.
In June of 1947 the church joined the Assemblies of God and became what is today known as Walhalla Assembly of God.
In 1974 the congregation blessed the minister with purchasing the current parsonage which gave more room for the ministers family to grow.
In 1985, four lots were purchased on the highway across from the clinic and money began to be put aside for a new church building. On April 22, 2001 a ground breaking ceremony took place after the annual business meeting with Superintendent Leon Freitag. On June 17th of the same year, the last service was held in the old church building. The congregation began having worship service at the legion in town until November 4, 2001 when a service and harvest festival was held in the new church building for the first time.
In September of 2001 the previous church building and property was purchased, razed and hauled away. The purchaser blessed the church with letting the congregation keep a stain glass window, two alter chairs and the pulpit. All can be found on the stage in the new church building. The steeple bell was also donated and is now rung every Sunday to signal the start of service.